Cuthbert Brodrick, a young architect from Hull who won international fame for his design of Leeds Town Hall was responsible for this building.
The first stone of the Corn Exchange was laid on 7 May 1861 and the building was completed in 1864. As its name suggests, it was used as a corn exchange.
As time went by following the closure of the Corn Exchange the Exchange's condition deteriorated to such a degree that the building itself and the surrounding land became one of Leeds' most run down areas. Early proposals for the regeneration for this site had included turning the Corn Exchange into a concert hall similar to the Royal Albert Hall.