Gunthorpes Sugar Factory
This sugar factory has played an important part in Antigua's history. Before the 21st century all sugar mills were owned by individual planters scattered over the island. Then when sugar cane output began to fail a central factory was built at Gunthorpes Estate in 1904. Here Antiguans were better able to communicate with each other, and seeing their exploitation, shop stewards were first formalized. By 1939, a trade union had been established. Soon an alliance between Government and a trade union led to the Ministerial system, thus a path to Independence was attained. Sugar ceased to be ground in 1972.