Former Whaler's Arms - The Rocks
79 Lower Fort St, Millers Point
This magnificent sandstone residence began life in 1842 as the Young Princess Hotel, a local landmark in Millers Point (The Rocks). At some point in its life, it became the "Whalers Arms Hotel", initially servicing, as the name suggests, the whaling community.
During the mid twentieth century it was converted into a general store, before being abandoned and left to deteriorate, helped by squatters who took up residence.
In 2006 the Department of Housing granted a private client a 99 year residential lease on the condition that the property was meticulously restored in line with its heritage.
Gartner Rose had just completed another residential project for this client in Glebe and the success of the project was such that Gartner Rose was appointed to rebuild 79 Lower Fort Street.
Restoration included the stripping and rebuilding the entire interior of the four story building and repairing and re-pointing all the external stone. Original balconies were reconstructed, the chimneys were rebuilt and the roof rebuilt and re-slated.
The interior of the building was completed to the highest prestige residential standards.
The result is a magnificant home finished to the highest levels of detail.
Source: Gartner Rose website