IBM 1401 Processing Unit
During the 1950's the National Coal Board (NCB) were looking to increase efficiency in the processing of wages. Three pilot schemes were introduced in North Staffordshire, Durham and Northern Divisions. Chatterley Whitfield colliery in North Staffordshire was chosen for the site of the first computer to be used by the NCB. In 1958 an IBM 650 computer was installed at the colliery and was calculating the wages of 3,000 employees.
As technology advanced, the NCB established Divisional Computer Centres, eventually to become Compower (in Cannock) processing information for Finance, Purchasing, Stores and Marketing.
This IBM 1401 Processing Unit, plus associated Printer & Card Punch Reader, were 're-discovered' at Chatterley Whitfield in 2007, and were part of the Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum Collection, saved from Compower.