Mar's Wark (7 of 7)
Curiously, it is thought that all the little vaulted rooms in the basement, each with its own door, were shops.
As previously described, the arms on the south (left) flanking tower are those of the Earl of Mar. On the north tower are the arms of the Regent impaled with those of his Countess (occupying half each), Annabella, daughter of Sir William Murray of Tulibardine—three mullets within a double treasure with fleur de lis, the shield surmounted by a coronet surrounded by a wreath bound by ribbons, its corners intertwined. A similar ribbon-intertwined wreath is on a panel inscribed with the arms of Maria de Lorraine, "Regina Scotie 1560."