Kinnaird's Head Castle (6)
The parapet wall, open rounds and machicolated projection at the east end of the keep, all built above a good corbelled course.
Four weeks of excavations were carried out in the basement during 1997 and 1998, with the objective of revealing the primary mid-16th-century floor surfaces and clarifying the architectural sequence. It appeared that the majority of occupation-derived debris has been previously removed, probably during the conversion of the castle to a lighthouse. Very few artefacts were recovered from the medieval deposits, although a 1612 twopence and a bone-handled iron awl were recovered from an early pit. Animal and fish bone predominated, supporting the use of the western vault as a kitchen. The surviving archaeological deposits give a clear picture of the sequence of architectural alterations, but unfortunately very little pottery was found to date these events.