Balhousie Castle (4 of 8)
This shot of Balhousie Castle, is taken from the same angle as the previous early 19th century drawing. Comparison of the two pictures shows just how much the building has been changed. The gable on the left, with the 'modern' angle-turret, is the west gable of the old castle's main block. The corner below the angle-turret shows the only remaining 17th century rubble masonry visible from this angle. More regularly cut dressed ashlar stone has been used for the 1860s extensions. The rather incongruous orange quoin stones are replacements for the 17th century quoins that were good enough to be left there in 1860 but after a further 150 years of erosion, have had to be replaced.
The 17th century stair-tower still partially exists, as we will see from the other side, but from this side has been almost entirely swallowed up by later work. The white painted dormer gable (with access door to the flag pole) would appear to sit on the old stair-tower. The wall in front of it with the blue Black Watch crest on it, together with the round tower and everything to the right of it - is all post 1860.