Broughty Castle (4)
The cobbled ramp leading up to the castle's gate, in front of which there is a dry ditch spanned by a draw-bridge.
Following the sale of Broughty Castle by Lord Gray to the English, a Minute of the Scots Privy Council of 1547 recorded that 'our auld ynemies of England hes, by way of deid, takin the craig and place of Broughty and ramforcat them'. Also, 'Our auld ynemies being in the hous of Broughty are apperandly to invaid the bure of Dundie and haill cuntrie, and to burn, herey, sla and destroy . . . etc.' To remedy this state of affairs, the Council ordered 300 men to be raised, 100 of them to be hagbutters, another 100 spearmen, one half to be equipped by the superior clergy at a levy of 600 pounds and the other half by the inhabitants of Dundee, beside 100 horsemen at the joint expense of the counties of Perth, Angus and the Mearns.
The English garrison however, numbered 2000 men, which means that Broughty Craig, which is not very large, must have been very crowded. To begin with they were commanded by Sir Andrew Dudley, the Earl of Somerset's brother, who set about improving the castle's defenses and digging a ditch on the landward side.
They English were not dislodged from Broughty for over two years. On 20 February 1550 the Scots and their French allies succeeded in capturing a subsidiary fort also held by the English, and the following day Broughty Castle surrendered to them.