Oamaru: Smith's Grain Store (1882) (3)
9 Tyne St., in Oamaru's historic Victorian Quarter
Joseph Smith's Grain Store was built in 1882, and is probably the most ornamental grain store in NZ!
Smith's Grain Store has had a variety of uses including office and printing works for the Oamaru Mail for 64 years, the newly-formed South Oamaru Presbyterian congretation met there before Columba Church was built, a dance hall, skating rink, the first home of the North Otago Farmers' Co-op and lastly a joinery factory.
Today Smith's Grain Store flies the Union Jack flag, and the large open space is used as an accessway between Tyne and Harbour Sts and a venue for community functions. New stairs have provided good access to the first floor which is now a gallery hosting works by local artists.