The museum was built by Boyd and Keir in 1881 as the top storey to the local Bank of New Zealand. When the Bank of New Zealand was to be demolished the early records department took this building, the top storey and relocated it to the present site. On 27 May 2003 the Museum was recognised as a Landmark building.
Today it has survived all the Canterbury earthquakes and now the snow.
Taken on 7 June 2012, North Canterbury, South Island, New Zealand.