Lake Merritt Campus, 1868-1957
Holy Names University was founded in 1868 when six Sisters of the Holy Names arrived in California from Montreal, Canada. The teaching order, founded to provide education to the poor, had been invited to Oakland by Father Michael King to establish a school for girls and to train future teachers.

When the school was founded on the shores of Lake Merritt, Oakland was an outpost of 8,000 people. Lake Merritt was at that time considered to be "far in the country, wild and brush covered, a thicket for rabbits and quail."

1868 - Foundation of Convent of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart at Lake Merritt Campus, Oakland, CA

1880 - Empowered by the State of California to grant higher degrees

1908 - Name of the institution changes to Convent and College of the Holy Names

1916 - Secular students admitted to college-level classes for the first time, and the Alumnae Office opens with its new constitution decreeing that the annual meeting should coincide with Founders' Day, May 10

1917 - Holy Names Junior College formally inaugurated

1925 - The senior college opens

1929 - First Baccalaureate degrees awarded

1930 - The first College of the Holy Names' teacher candidates were credentialed by the State of California

1949 - College of the Holy Names becomes one of the Charter members of WASC

1955 - The co-educational Graduate Division formally established

1957 - The entire college moves from Lake Merritt to the new campus on Mountain Boulevard
19 photos · 343 views