Aveling & Porter (15 Ton) Awning
I Have Moved to Ipernity
The images are viewable over there
www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album/402671?view=0

We have been asked by the custodian of the 15 ton Aveling & Porter '3315' to replicate this Roller's Awning. As the existing one - which dates from the 1980s - was a trifle past it's best, a new one was needed to accompany the current restoration project.

The engine was built by Aveling & Porter of Rochester in 1894 and was new to James Young & Sons of Edinburgh, and sold around 1909 to William Wear of Hexham. In 1919, Wear's sold it to Northumberland County Council who used it until 1959. Bought in 1961 for the Industrial Collection of the Bowes Museum (later to become the North of England Open Air Museum), it was stored in Durham until 1975 when moved to Beamish and it was displayed outside until June 2003 when it was moved, initially to West Yorkshire and then back to County Durham. After 8 years of fundraising and restoration, 3315 steamed again in February 2011, and it is predicted - hopefully - that the restoration will be completed later this year.

The timber has been ordered, and the parts kit is almost complete. The frame is now built, and the planks are nearly all in place. It will soon be time to paint.....varnishing has been done, and the painting is now done.....next, the rainproofing.
The Lid has been delivered, and fitted. The engine has been to the Onslow Park and GDSF shows, but is now home again, whilst there the side boards were signwritten by Phil Anderson. 3315's custodian, Anthony Coulls, very kindly suggested that Stanegate Restorations should feature on one side.
Thanks very much, the gesture is really appreciated.

There are a couple more images to come, when the painting is completed.

There was an event on 14/15 July 2012 at the Vintage Vehicles Museum at Shildon, on the Saturday evening 3315 moved a short distance under her own power.
1 photo · 508 views