Sutter's Fort, 1849
Originally called New Helvetia, Sutter's Fort was built by Swiss immigrant John Sutter in 1838. With the fort John Sutter established the first non-native american community in central California. When gold was discovered at one of Sutter's mills in Coloma, located 36 miles east of Sacramento, the fort was abandoned. The fort is located in midtown Sacramento at 27th and L.