new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Wenlock Priory - Stone Walls | by Heaven`s Gate (John)
Back to album

Wenlock Priory - Stone Walls

The spectacular ruins of Wenlock Priory (England)are the remains of a 12th century church that belonged to the Cluniac monastry, refounded in 1079 and 1082, on the site of an earlier 7th century foundation, by Roger de Montgomery. It is thought to be the final resting place of St Milburga, whose bones were discovered during restoration work in 1101.

 

Merewalh, King of the Magonsaete founded the original Anglo-Saxon monastry here in AD680 and Merewalh's daughter quickly became its abbess. She was later canonised.

 

After her death in AD727 little is historically known of the monastry until the Norman Conquest.

 

The priory at Much Wenlock wasn't inhabited by monks until after the Norman conquest. Following the reformation of the monastry, in the early fourteenth century, the priory church was lavishly and completely rebuilt.

 

1,175 views
9 faves
16 comments
Uploaded on August 31, 2012