flickr-free-ic3d pan white

Hexham Abbey, Adoration

"the painting above the high altar is a copy of one by Andrea del Sarto, c1505 and shows Mary and the infant Christ meeting Elizabeth and the infant John the Baptist"

Many thanks, for the Information above, to:

Jane Musto

Administrator

Hexham Abbey

www.hexhamabbey.org.uk

 

There has been a church on this site over for 1300 years since Queen Etheldreda made a grant of lands to Wilfrid, Bishop of York c.674.

 

Of Wilfrid’s Benedictine abbey, the Saxon crypt and apse still remain. In Norman times Wilfrid’s abbey was replaced by an Augustinian priory: the church you see today is mainly that building of about 1170-1250, in the Early English style of architecture. The choir, north and south transepts and the cloisters, where canons studied and meditated, date from this period.

 

The east end was rebuilt in 1860 and the nave, whose walls incorporate some of the earlier church, was built in 1908.

 

1,909 views
3 faves
16 comments
Uploaded on March 18, 2012