Lichfield Cathedral - Three Spires
Lichfield Cathedral was never a monastery as most, but was established as a cathedral and has continued with minimal interruption. It was not greatly affected by the dissolution of the monasteries in the period of Henry VIII, and its only severe problem was in the time of the civil war, when it was badly damaged, and one of its three spires was felled. It is England's only medieval Cathedral with three spires, Truro Cathedral, and the Episcopal Cathedral in Edinburgh have three spires but both were built in the 19th century.
The present building was started in 1195, and completed by the building of the Lady Chapel in the 1330s. It replaced a Norman building begun in 1085 which had replaced one, or possibly two, Saxon buildings from the seventh century. The Bishop's Palace built in 1687 and a theological college built in 1837, are next to the cathedral.
One of the smallest cathedrals it measures 113m (370ft) in length from inside the West Door to the extreme end of the Lady Chapel. It is only 21m (68ft) wide. It is one of only twelve surviving medieval chapter houses. The central spire is 77m (252ft) high and the western spires about 58m (190ft) high. There are 113 statues on the West Front, but only four are medieval. The rest were carved towards the end of the 19th century, as the original statues had become very worn and most were removed in the 18th century.