Mary A. Wolfe House, North Avondale, Cincinnati, OH
Built in 1888, the Mary A. Wolfe House stood for 131 years on Burton Avenue in Avondale. The grand mansion was designed by notable Cincinnati architect Samuel Hannaford, and built in the Romanesque Style, featuring an imposing massing behind a beautiful stone facade. The mansion, along with most of Avondale, saw a decline in its fortunes in the mid-20th Century, and the house became an assisted living facility for a few decades, before being abandoned sometime in the 1990s, and remaining unoccupied due to the undesirability of the neighborhood, which was a lingering effect of historical racial discrimination in housing that hit Avondale particularly hard. In 2019, after decades of abandonment and severe deterioration, the once-grand mansion, despite being listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was demolished by the City of Cincinnati, and the remains of the house were unceremoniously carted off to a landfill. St. Andrew Catholic Church on Reading Road, another structure designed by Hannaford, also fell in 2019. Edgewood, the A. E. Burckhardt House, another mansion in Avondale designed by Samuel Hannaford, appears destined for a similar fate.