Bath Abbey (St. Peter & St. Paul), 4 May 2015. The picture shows the north elevation of the chancel, transept and tower. The site was originally granted to the Monks of St. Peter in 757 by Cynewulf, King of the West Saxons (later Wessex). Edgar of Wessex was crowned as King of England at Bath Abbey in 973, the first effective King of all England. In 1090 the Norman Bishop of Wells, John de Villula, transferred his throne here and built a new Cathedral on the site, the Abbey then becoming a Priory. In 1245 it became a co-cathedral with Wells and successive bishops preferred to sit at Wells rather than Bath, which gradually fell into considerable disrepair. However, in 1499-1520 it was rebuilt as an Abbey Church (actually a Priory Church) in Tudor Perpendicular style but following the monastery's dissolution in 1539 it again fell into a ruinous state. In 1569 the church was repaired and rebuilt in Tudor Perpendicular style as the parish church of Bath. The Abbey again fell into a state of disrepair in the early 17th Century and was reroofed and restored in 1611. By 1860 it was once more in poor condition and was heavily restored by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. The church suffered bomb damage in 1942 by the German 'Baedecker' raids and was repaired yet again.