Rhodes town - The harbour called Mandraki is distinguished from the outer harbor by the 3 windmills and the fortifications at the end of the dock. The 15th century Tower of Saint Nicholas at the end of the pier in the Mandraki harbor was the key to the defense of the city and in both the first unsuccessful seige of 1480 and the second and final seige of 1522-23 was pounded into rubble in some of the most ferocious battles in the defense of the city. The harbour of Mandraki was actually the ancient harbour. The three windmills that still stand on the breakwater that leads to the tower are actually all that remain of a line of 14 medieval windmills which were used to ground wheat. The two deer, one male and the other female which stand on pillars at the entrance of the harbour were built by the Italians and symbolize the actual deer they brought to Rhodes to rid the island of snakes.