Engraving by J Redaway in 1822 used on cover of guidebook written by Kenneth Woodbridge, bought in 1976. The house was designed by Colen Campbell and built between 1721 and 1725 in the Palladian style for Henry Hoare. The gardens were designed by Henry Hoare 11 and laid out tween 1741 and 1780 to include a lake and several ornamental buildings. The gardens are listed Grade 1 on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens. The Hoare family gave the house and gardens to the National Trust in 1946.