Teach Yourself Books - Languages
Teach Yourself Books
- S.A. Sofroniou - Modern Greek, 1976
- D.F. Hudson - New Testament Greek, 1967
- F. Kinchin Smith & T.W. Melluish - Greek, 1977
- F. Kinchin Smith - Latin, 1970
- J.W. Barker - Portuguese, 1976
- M. Murell & V. Ştefănescu-Drăgăneşti - Romanian, 1977
- V. Javarek & M. Sudjić - Serbo-Croat, 1973
- W. R. & Z. Lee - Czech, 1977
- Arthur H. Whitney - Finnish, 1971
- P.G. Wilson - German Grammar, 1975
- H. Koolhoven - Dutch, 1977
- H.A. Koefoed - Danish, 1973
- R.J. McClean - Swedish, 1975
- Ingvald Marm & Alf Sommerfelt - Norwegian (Riksmål), 1973
- P.J.T. Glendening - Icelandic, 1976
- Leslie Blakely - Old English, 1973
Teach Yourself is an imprint of Hodder Education that specializes in self-instruction books. The series is most famous for its language education books, but its titles in mathematics (including algebra and calculus) are also best sellers, and the series covers a great many other subjects as well.
Like many similar series, the Teach Yourself series has always used a common design for all of its books. Most older titles are covered with a distinctive yellow and blue dust jacket, but over the years the publisher has changed the cover design several times.
The Teach Yourself books were published from 1938 until 1973 by the English Universities Press. Most titles published during the Second World War were aimed at helping the British nation survive as well as improving knowledge in the subjects that would improve the war effort. The books in the Teach Yourself language series prior to 1973 were published in a hardback format and emphasized the mastery of grammar.
The books in the Teach Yourself language series since 1974 are published in a paperback format and emphasize the mastery of basic conversational skills.