There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds
Montfoort Castle was built in the 12th century for the Bishop of Utrecht; Godfried van Rhenen. The castle was originally oval-shaped, ant stood on an artificial hill, or ’motte’. The original castle was destroyed by French invaders in 1672. Only a few small wall fragments remain of the 12th century building. The 15th century bailey is still standing, and are now home to a restaurant. The ruins and the bailey are open to the public.