St Dunstan in the East
A church was first built on the site of this garden in Saxon times. It was restored by St Dunstan in 950 AD and then rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren after the Great Fire in 1697. Only the tower of the Wren church survives. The garden was laid out following severe damage to the church in the blitz, and opened as a public space in 1967.
- from a notice in the gardens