new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Arch / Arco | by SantiMB.Photos
Back to photostream

Arch / Arco

Meritxell, Canillo (Andorra).

 

ENGLISH

Our Lady of Meritxell (Mare de Déu de Meritxell in Catalan) is an Andorran Roman Catholic statue depicting an apparition of the Virgin Mary. Our Lady of Meritxell is the patron saint of Andorra. The original statue dates from the late 12th century. However, the chapel in which it was housed burned down on September 8 and 9, 1972, and the statue was destroyed. A replica can be found in the new Meritxell Chapel, designed in 1976 by Ricardo Bofill.

 

The Catalan philologist Joan Coromines says that "Meritxell" is a diminutive of merig, from the Latin meridiem (midday in English). Merig is a name used by shepherds to denote a pasture with lot of sun.

 

In the late 12th century, on January 6, a wild rose in bloom was found by villagers from Meritxell going to Mass in Canillo. It was out of season and at its base was found a statue of the Virgin and Child.

 

The statue was placed in the Canillo church. However, the statue was found under the same wild rose the next day.

 

The statue was taken to the church of Encamp. However, as before, the statue was found under the same wild rose the next day.

 

As in similar legends elsewhere, the villagers of Meritxell took this as a sign and decided to build a new chapel in their town after they found an open space miraculously untouched by the winter snows.

 

More info: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Meritxell

 

---------------------------------------

 

CASTELLANO

El Santuario de Nuestra Señora de Meritxell se encuentra en la localidad de Meritxell, en la parroquia andorrana de Canillo. En él se rinde culto a la Virgen de Meritxell, patrona del Principado de Andorra.

 

Según la leyenda, un pastor encontró la imagen de la Virgen un día de invierno debajo de unos rosales floridos y decidió llevársela a su casa. La imagen, sin embargo, volvió tres veces al mismo lugar en el que había sido encontrada. Finalmente, los andorranos decidieron construir ahí una capilla.

 

En 1873, el Consell General de les Valls, la declaró patrona del país. El 8 de septiembre de 1921 fue coronada de forma solemne. A partir de entonces, ese día se celebra la fiesta nacional del Principado.

 

El santuario original era de estilo románico y fue reformado por completo en el siglo XVII. En 1972, el santuario se incendió, quedando destruido por completo. En el incendio desapareció también la talla románica de la Virgen, la más antigua del Principado, que hasta ese momento se adoraba. Se encargó la construcción de un nuevo santuario al arquitecto catalán Ricardo Bofill Levi.

 

El edificio tiene una mezcla de estilos y pretende fusionarse con el paisaje que le rodea. El nuevo edificio se inauguró en 1976. En su interior se continúa venerando una réplica de la talla románica de la Virgen que desapareció en el incendio.

 

Más info: es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santuario_de_Meritxell

 

---

La reflexión: santimbphotos.blogspot.com

1,771 views
5 faves
12 comments
Taken on November 1, 2010