The oldest / Lo más antiguo

Sitges, Barcelona (Spain).

 

View Large On White

 

Carrer d'en Bosc is the oldest street of Sitges. It is the old way of round that followed the profile of the wall, to that were leaned these houses of 14th century.

 

El Carrer d'en Bosc es el rincón más antiguo de Sitges. Se trata del antiguo camino de ronda que seguía el perfil de la muralla, a la que estaban adosadas estas casas del siglo XIV.

 

ENGLISH

Sitges’ name comes from the Pre-Roman word "sitja" that means "deep hole or grain warehouse". Already before the Neolithic period, the first Sitgetans dwelled in the place known as cave point, (past the Terramar Golf Club) and at the La Punta (the Point) headland, where the church and town hall are today. The archaeological remains found recently show that an Iberian settlement already exited there back in the 4th-3rd century BC. Present studies confirm that there were two small town centers in Sitges back in the 1st century. One around the La Punta headland and another at the Vinyet chapel. Joined together with Roman Olérdola, Sitges’ port was a point of exchange for products between the Penedés region and other places from the Roman Mediterranean.

 

The castle, located at the top of the La Punta headland, today the Town Hall, built on the foundations of the ancient castle in 1889, was first owned by the Barcelona Seo, or cathedral, which ceded it by fief to Count Mir Geribert (1041). In the 12th century, Sitges was under the fief of the Sitges’s, a family that adopted the town’s name as their own last name. The Sitges family has been documented from 1116 up to 1308. The family’s last member, Agnès de Sitges, sold her fief rights to Bernat de Fonollar, who was Lord from 1306 to 1326. After the death of his second wife, Blanca de Abella, by testamentary decision, Sitges was placed in the hands of the Pia Almoina (an almshouse) until 1814. Bernat de Fonollar was a knight who was directly related to King Juame II’s court. The tombs of both this nobleman and his wife are in the Sant Bartomeu & Santa Tecla church, on the left-hand side as you enter. During these centuries, Sitgetans’ lives were organized around the bastion headland, where the parish church, cemetery, hospital, castle and a small group of houses were, all surrounded by a first enclosure and connected to the rest of the town via a bridge over calle Mayor, or Main St. The rest of the village consisted of Nou, Tacó and Carreta streets, that lead down to the sea and all had their respective gates, L’Aigua street with another gate and Devallada street. The presence of these gates shows that the entire village was surrounded by a second rampart. It is also known that there were 3 towers located at the Bastion, behind the old Hospital (today the Maricel Museum) and Bosc street, possibly built in 1303. They are part of the Sitges Coat of Arms.

 

More info: www.sitgestour.com/una-mica-dhistoria-4.html

 

-----------------------------------

 

CASTELLANO

El nombre de Sitges proviene de "sitja" de procedencia prerromana que significa "hoyo profundo, depósito de grano". Los primeros sitgetanos habitaban, ya antes del neolítico, el lugar conocido como la punta de las cuevas (pasado el golf Terramar) y en el promontorio de la Punta, donde hoy se encuentra la iglesia y el Ayuntamiento, los restos arqueológicos encontrados últimamente demuestran la existencia de un asentamiento ibérico ya en el siglo IV-III AC. Los estudios actuales constatan que en el siglo I, en Sitges habían dos pequeños núcleos de población. Uno alrededor del promontorio de la Punta y otro en la ermita del Vinyet. Unida a la Olérdola romana, el puerto sitgetano sirvió de intercambio entre los productos del Penedés y de otros lugares del Mediterraneo romano.

 

El castillo, situado en lo alto del promontorio de la Punta, hoy Ayuntamiento y que fue construido sobre los cimientos del antiguo castillo en el 1889, tuvo como primer propietario la Seo de Barcelona que lo cedió en feudo al conde Mir Geribert (1041). En el siglo XII, Sitges estaba bajo el feudo de los Sitges, familia que adoptó el topónimo de la villa como apellido. La família Sitges está documentada desde el año 1116 hasta el año 1308. El último miembro de la família Agnès de Sitges vendió sus derechos de feudo a Bernat de Fonollar que fue señor desde 1306 al 1326. Despues de la muerte de su segunda mujer, Blanca de Abella, Sitges pasó, por decisión testamentaria, a manos de la Pia Almoina y lo fue hasta 1814. Bernat de Fonollar fue un caballero directamente relacionado con la corte del rey Jaume II. Las tumbas del noble y de su mujer están en la iglesia de Sant Bartomeu i Santa Tecla, entrando a mano izquierda. La vida de los sitgetanos de estos siglos se organiza alrededor el promontorio del baluarte, donde estaba la iglesia parroquial, el cementerio, el hospital, el castillo y un reducido núcleo de casas, todo cerrado por un primer recinto y conectaba con el resto de la villa por un puente encima de la calle Mayor. El resto del pueblo lo conforman las calles Nou, Tacó y Carreta que manaban al mar y estaban cerrados por sus respectivos portales, la calle de l'Aigua con otro portal y el de la Devallada. La presencia de estos portales demuestra que toda la villa estaba enmurallada por un segundo recinto. se conoce, también la existencia de 3 torres situadas en el Baluarte, detrás del antiguo Hospital (actual Museo Maricel) y en la calle de Bosc, posiblemente levantadas en el año 1303. Dibujadas en el escudo de Sitges.

 

Más info: www.sitgestour.com/una-mica-dhistoria-5.html

21,413 views
36 faves
85 comments
Taken on July 5, 2008
  • ƒ/3.4
  • 10.0 mm
  • 1/420
  • 100
  • Flash (off, did not fire)
  • Show EXIF
This photo is in 5 albums
This photo is in 2 galleries

Additional info

  • Viewing this photo Public
  • Safety level of this photo Safe
  • S Search
    Photo navigation
    < > Thumbnail navigation
    Z Zoom
    B Back to context