new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Yorkshire, Cold KIrby | by jmc4 - Church Explorer
Back to group

Yorkshire, Cold KIrby

Church of St Michael - The present building dates from 1841 financed by Thomas Duncome, it replaced a 12c church whose font and 2 bells still survive. One bell is from 13c, the other is dated 1665 (just after the Restoration) and inscribed "God saves his church".

Originally the Knights Templars owned the land here, on their supression by the Pope and king of France in 1314 Cold KIrby passed to the Knights Hospitallers who held it until the 16c Reformation

198 views
0 faves
5 comments
Taken on August 30, 2006