new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Wembury  Devon | by jmc4 - Church Explorer
Back to photostream

Wembury Devon

1088-15c Church of St Werburgh, Wembury Devon , one of only 3 churches with this dedication. The present church built by the Normans in 1088, replacing an earlier Saxon wooden building now stands in an isolated spot overlooking the chanel . It was renovated / rebuilt in 15c when the tower was erected. The 1552 inventory recorded 3 bells which was increased to 5 in 1909 . A sixth bell added in 1948, in memory of parishioners who fell in the 2nd World War .

In the chancel is the huge monument of Sir John Hele 1608 and family www.flickr.com/gp/52219527@N00/gbX6Pj

Also another large freestanding tomb on top of which kneels Elizabeth Calmady www.flickr.com/gp/52219527@N00/wdF927

young wife of Sir John Narborough who perished with Sir Cloudesley Shovell in 1707 off the isles of Scilly.

In the 1880s there was substantial restoration funded by Richard Cory of nearby Langdon Court, a friend of the Prince of Wales & Lily Langtry

 

Picture with thanks - copyright church site www.wemburychurch.co.uk/

3,211 views
17 faves
7 comments
Taken on February 27, 2018