Cloister
Nicolette Gray writes, "Cloister is a combination of two ideas of the sixties, the even line of the runic and the flat bracketed serif of the latin. It appears first in a rather thin condensed version of Miller & Richard c1864. But it does not become common until about 1876, when it appears in both the Reed & Fox and the Stephenson Blake books and was quickly taken up by the other founders.

The caps for Cloister were designed by Charles H. Beeler Jr.² in 1873. MacKellar, Smiths & Jordan partner Richard Smith, Inventor of Record, was awarded the patent. MSJ showed It consistently without a lower case.
____

¹Gray, N. (1938): Chapter VII, 1875-1890. In XIXth Century Ornamented Types and Title Pages, pages 63-69. Faber and Faber Limited, London.
²Loy, W.E. (1898–1900): Designers and Engravers of Type. In The Inland Printer, December 1899.
6 photos · 49 views