new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Chester, St John, Cheshire, * | by natefifield
Back to photostream

Chester, St John, Cheshire, *

“St John’s was Chester’s cathedral from 1075 until 1095, and retained the name until Henry VIII raised the Abbey to that rank. The monastery went into abrupt decline, such that by the 19th century it was a ruin. The Victorians restored it with customary gusto.”

 

- Simon Jenkins

www.bestenglishchurches.wordpress.com

 

11 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on July 7, 2016