3 T olive oil, separated
2 T butter, softened and separated
2 lbs mushrooms, cut in ¼ inch slices
1 carrot, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup red wine
2 cups vegetable broth
2 T tomato paste
1 t fresh thyme leaves
1 ½ T flour
1 cup pearl onions, peeled
1. Heat a heavy sauce pan over high heat. Add one tablespoon olive oil and one tablespoon of butter to melt. Char the mushrooms for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from pan.
2. Lower the heat to medium and add the 2 remaining tablespoons of olive oil. Add carrots, diced yellow onion, thyme, salt and pepper to taste and cook until the onions have browned, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add wine, raise the heat to high, and cook until the stew is reduced in half, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and broth.
5. Add the mushrooms. When the stew comes to a boil reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the pearl onions and simmer for 5 more minutes.
6. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining tablespoon of butter with the flour then stir into the stew. Simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Spoon over egg noodles, garnish with parsley and serve.