Welch Home c.1907, Talladega, Alabama
This beautiful brick house was built in 1907 by Dr. Samuel W. Welch and his wife Ethel. It is one of only three solid brick houses in Talladega county - the walls being double-brick (8" thick). It features three bay windows and 17 Grecian columns along the wraparound porch. The house was designed by renowned architect Frank Lockwood and built by Robert West, a duo who collaborated on many of Talladega's historic homes. Dr. Welch served as the State Health Officer for Alabama and spent much of his career addressing health and medical issues across the State. He was also a Mason and an Odd Fellow. This lovely home is part of the Silk Stocking District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.