Bygone Days Tyneham village Nikon D3100. DSC_0166.
Tyneham is a ghost village and former civil parish, now in the civil parish of Steeple with Tyneham, in south Dorset, England, near Lulworth on the Isle of Purbeck.
Photographs on the old Post Office wall.
Taken on the 01/05/2016 at 16:42:12Hrs using a Nikon D3100 with a Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS Lens.
The village and 7,500 acres (30 km2) of surrounding heathland and chalk downland around the Purbeck Hills, were commandeered just before Christmas 1943 by the then War Office (now MoD) for use as firing ranges for training troops. 225 people were displaced.
This measure was supposed to be temporary for the duration of World War II, but in 1948 the Army placed a compulsory purchase order on the land and it has remained in use for military training ever since.
Tyneham is only accessible when the Lulworth Ranges are open to the public. The military firing ranges are owned by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and are part of the Armoured Fighting Vehicles Gunnery School. Safety warnings about explosives and unexploded shells are posted by the MoD: visitors are advised to keep to official footpaths and observe local site notices as tanks and armoured vehicles are used in this area.
For more detail Click on down arrow on the right corner under image and Go to VIEW ALL SIZES & THEN choose ORIGINAL
Coordinates: 50.623°N 2.169°W