Murphy Windmill, Golden Gate Park. S.F (peeking in)
Golden Gate Park windmill facts
The history of Golden Gate Park's north and south windmills:
1870: The "Act to Provide for the Improvement of Public Parks in the City of San Francisco'' creates Golden Gate Park.
1901: The Recreation and Park Commission authorizes the construction of a windmill 300 yards from the ocean. This windmill could take advantage of the prevailing winds to pump water for park irrigation.
1902: The Dutch (north) windmill is completed at a cost of $25,000.
1905: Samuel Murphy, vice president of Hibernia Bank, finances the south (Murphy) windmill. It becomes the largest of its kind in the world.
1913: Motorized pumps are installed to augment the wind-driven system. With the windmills no longer performing a primary function, their maintenance is neglected and they eventually cease to operate.
1964: Eleanor Rossi Crabtree, daughter of late Mayor Angelo Rossi, initiates a campaign to save the north, or Dutch, windmill.
1980: As a result of the campaign, the north windmill gets cosmetic repairs.
1993: The San Francisco Recreation and Park Department, with San Francisco Beautiful, arranges for an extensive study of the south (Murphy) windmill. Lucas Verbij, a Dutch windmill design and construction expert, concludes that the windmill is in need of immediate attention.
2000: The city commits $500,000 toward Murphy Windmill restoration.