Rigney Theater Building - Albany, MO
Commissioned by local judge Thomas M. Rigney and designed by Kansas City architect Carol Boller, the $20,000 theater opened on December 30, 1914 with a live performance and a stated capacity of 900. Rigney also developed other buildings in downtown Albany.
By 1926 it was listed as having 500 seats and by 1931 the orchestra pit was removed and the theater showed motion pictures exclusively.
In 1956 the screen was converted to a wide screen to accomodate CinemaScope films.
In 1966 it was renamed the Wilcox Theater but later reverted to its original name.
The theater closed on March 30, 2013, presumably for repairs, with "The Croods" being its final showing. It has not reopened or converted to digital projection.