ST. CATHERINE'S ISLAND __TENBY
MANY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR KIND COMMENTS
An island of no home
Empty walls of old stone
Yet has a cold beauty
Golden days memory
There is a magic dawn
When light shines in the morn .
ST.CATHERINE’S ISLAND .
A Victorian fort on a tidal island off Pembrokeshire could reopen as a visitor attraction . St Catherine's Island, just 100m off the coast at Tenby, could become home to a historical experience with costumed guides under new plans. Project manager Peter Prosser said the key would be approval for a bridge linking the island to the mainland .
During the Napoleonic Wars, a chain of coastal fortifications were built around the UK, with St. Catherine's Island chosen as a site due to its proximity to the ports of Pembroke and Milford. Work began in 1868, the contractor being Mr. George Thomas of Pembroke Dock. Whilst excavating the foundations deep into the rock, the ruins of a chapel were removed, together with an Egyptian effigy, bones of a human skeleton, and some Roman coins, work was completed in 1870, it was subsequently fortified and garrisoned but the guns were never fired in anger.
In 1907 the Island was sold for £500, and by way of further sale, found its way into the hands of the wealthy Windsor - Richards family, who were involved in the South Wales Iron and Steel Industry. The elegance of their occupation is remembered, with the hall carpeted with animal skins, glass trophy cabinets, Tapestries, and many Stag heads and hunting trophies bedecking the walls. The principal rooms were furnished in period styles, with the hall containing its huge open fireplace being a focal point for numerous celebrations, in particular, the Tenby Hunt Ball.
Around 1920 the family left Tenby, and much of the furniture and decor from the Fort was sold in the Town, and is still can be found within homes in the locality. Today the Fort lies derelict, stripped of its former elegance, but steeped in character, and history.