Bremen - Schlachte
Tall ships moored at the Schlachte, with the St. Martini church on the right. Taken from the Wilhelm-Kaisen-Brücke.
The tall ships:
Background: "Admiral Nelson" (fake)
The ship started it's career in 1958 as fish trawler "Picton Sea Eagle" and was converted to it's current appearance and duty in 1985. The design of the conversion was roughly oriented on "HMS Conway", a school ship of the Royal Navy, lost in 1953.
All this fake "history" like "replica of a frigate that sailed under Nelson" related to that particular boat is unfortunately complete advertising hype.
Green sail and hull: Alexander von Humboldt
Now this barque rigged tall ship is the real thing, very much unlike the fake "Admiral Nelson".
The "Alex" as she is named shortly started her career in 1906 as the lightship "Reserve Sonderburg" - as usual at that time the hull was that of a tall ship. After years of duty in the North and Baltic Seas the lightship was retired. After retirement the ship was bought by the Deutsche Stiftung Sail Training DSST (German Sail Training Foundation) and converted to a 3-masted barque by the German shipyard Motorwerke Bremerhaven, following plans of the Polish naval architect Zygmunt Choreń.
The hull was painted green as reference to the ships of the Rickmers shipping company of Bremerhaven. Green sails were installed as a marketing tool for advertising campaigns by the ship's sponsor and founding member of DSST, the German brewery Beck's.
She sailed as training ship and flagship of the German foundation DSST, traveling over 300,000 nautical miles (~560,000 km) in 20 years of duty and also participated in tall ships' races. Her longest cruise was a voyage in commemoration of Alexander von Humboldt's expedition to South America and the Caribbean. On 18 January 2006, "Alex" rounded Cape Horn under sail, following the route of the legendary tall ships of the 19th and early 20th century in celebration of her centenary year.
in 2011 she was replaced by the newly built Alexander von Humboldt II. "Alex" was sold and initially moved to the Bahamas as a cruise ship. The cruise business did not turn out as expected, she returned to Europe in 2013.
In 2014 she was converted into a hotel and restaurant ship, initially located at the Überseestadt in the Europahafen in Bremen and in 2015 she was moved to the location at the Schlachte, being the highlight of the maritime exhibits along the quay.
© All Rights Reserved - you may not use this image in any form without my prior permission.