Swabian Gem - Weingarten, Germany (HDR Vertorama)

►►► Explore the world of HDR with me at farbspiel-photo.com - View. Learn. Connect.



About  |  HDR Cookbook  |  Before-and-After  |  Making-of  |  Pics to play with



(Hit 'f' to fave this image)


Watch the Before-and-After Comparison to see where this photo comes from!


Success story:

> This photo is/was featured in the The Top30 HDR Images in April 2011 on hdrlabs.com.

> It is an Editor's Pick at "HDR Spotting"


The story of this photo:

This is another photo from the Basilika St. Martin in Weingarten, Germany. On this beautiful sunny day, I had a lot of luck. The sun illuminated the church and there were virtually no tourists there. I was excited about the photos. But when I came back home, it became obvious that the dynamic range was too much for the hand-held AEB series I took. I had to learn a lot and do some extensive experiments to find out how to deal with this. But still, the post-processing of this image was cumbersome. While the original 0EV images were stitched perfectly by Photoshop, the tone-mapped images refused to stitch properly. Artifacts occurred were the images would not fit together perfectly. Usually, if you run several stitching attempts, you may be lucky and PS finds the right way to stich the images as some elements of this process are randomized. Not with this image. Yet another opportunity to learn something new since I had to fix these by hand cutting out pieces of the image and applying the right deformation by hand. Afterwards, I cleaned up using the clone stamp and the healing brush. Finally, the remaining post-processing was difficult too. The steps listed below are really only a rough estimate of the real process.


I hope all the work pays off and you like it!




Take a look at my "HDR Cookbook"! It contains some more information on my techniques.


How it was shot:

> Taken handheld (Read more about the technique!)

> 5x3 autobracketed shots (three exposures each, with 0, -2, +2 ev)

> Camera: Nikon D90

> Lens: Sigma 10-20mm F3,5 EX DC HSM

> Details can be found here


How it was stitched and tonemapped:

> Converted the RAWs to TIFFs using Adobe Camera RAW with the Five TIFFs method

> Tone-mapped the resulting 5x5 TIFFs using Photomatix Pro 4.0 (Detail Enhancer)

> Saved the images as 16bit TIFFs

> Stitched the 5 TIFFs using Photoshop

> Take a look here for a more detailed description.


How it was post-processed:

> Post-processing was done in Photoshop

> Topaz Adjust on the entire image to get back the colors and the details [details]

> Topaz Denoise (more aggressively on some parts) [details]

> Topaz Infocus on the entire image for sharpening

> Saturation layer on the white walls (desaturation)

> Levels layer on the white walls (more contrast)

> Separate levels layer on the dome (brightness and contrast)

> Saturation layer on the paintings (master)

> Separate treatment of the culprit, the organ, the floor and the wooden parts using levels and saturation layers

> Saturation layers on selected parts of the ceiling (colorizing)

> Vignette effect using a masked fill layer [details]

> Sharpening using the high-pass filter [details]

> Watermarking



Learn these techniques at farbspiel-photo.com - View. Learn. Connect.


- Thanks for viewing!

222 faves
Taken on November 20, 2010