new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Paris | by OliBac
Back to photostream

Paris

Obélisque et grande roue, Place de la Concorde, peu de temps avant la pluie...

 

L'obélisque égyptien de Louxor, vieux de 3 300 ans (XIIIe siècle av. J.‑C.), fut transporté en France en 1836, offert par l'Égypte en reconnaissance du rôle du Français Champollion qui a été le premier à traduire les hiéroglyphes. Le roi Louis-Philippe le fit placer au centre de la place lors son l'aménagement par l'architecte Hittorff. Haut de 22,86 mètres, le monolithe, en granite rose de Syène, pèse 227 tonnes. Il est érigé sur un socle de 9 mètres et est coiffé d'un pyramidion doré de plus de trois mètres et demi. Les hiéroglyphes qui le recouvrent célèbrent la gloire du pharaon Ramsès II.

 

Le sommet de cet obélisque est surmonté d'un pyramidion de plus de 3,50 m, ajouté en mai 1998, aussi pointu qu'étincelant, fait de bronze et de feuilles d'or. Il est censé remplacer un précédent ornement sommital, emporté lors d'invasions en Égypte au VIe siècle.

 

L'obélisque se situe sur la ligne de l'axe historique de Paris qui va de l'Arc de triomphe du Carrousel à l'Arche de la Défense en passant par le jardin des Tuileries et l'avenue des Champs-Élysées.

 

L'obélisque est aussi un cadran solaire, grâce à des lignes tracées au sol.

 

The center of the Place is occupied by a giant Egyptian obelisk decorated with hieroglyphics exalting the reign of the pharaoh Ramses II. It is one of two the Egyptian government gave to the French in the nineteenth century. The other one stayed in Egypt, too difficult and heavy to move to France with the technology at that time. In the 1990s, President François Mitterrand gave the second obelisk back to the Egyptians.

 

The obelisk once marked the entrance to the Luxor Temple. The Ottoman viceroy of Egypt, Mehmet Ali, offered the 3,300-year-old Luxor Obelisk to France in 1829. It arrived in Paris on 21 December 1833. Three years later, on 25 October 1836, King Louis Philippe had it placed in the center of Place de la Concorde, where a guillotine used to stand during the Revolution.

 

The obelisk, a red granite column, rises 23 metres (75 ft) high, including the base, and weighs over 250 metric tons (280 short tons). Given the technical limitations of the day, transporting it was no easy feat — on the pedestal are drawn diagrams explaining the machinery that was used for the transportation. The obelisk is flanked on both sides by fountains constructed at the time of its erection on the Place.

 

Early morning on 1 December 1993, the French AIDS fighting society Act Up Paris carried out a fast and unwarned commando-style operation. A giant pink condom was unrolled over the whole monument.[3]

 

Missing its original cap, believed stolen in the 6th century BC, the government of France added a gold-leafed pyramid cap to the top of the obelisk in 1998.

 

Source, Wikipedia

64,417 views
16 faves
5 comments
Taken on December 17, 2011