U.S. Ambassador in Antarctica 2010 - Day 5
From U.S. Ambassador Huebner's Blog:
Outrunning The Storm:
When I padded into the bunkhouse common room this morning to get my customary Diet Coke wake-me-up, Dr Lisa was waiting to advise that we needed to pack our belongings within the next 30 minutes and hightail it to the ice runway, unless we wanted to be stranded at McMurdo until Tuesday. There was a big storm approaching, and planes would not be able to land or take off once it hit.
The C-17 that we were planning to fly home to New Zealand in the late afternoon was being held in Christchurch because by the time it would arrive at McMurdo, weather conditions would prevent it from landing. There was, though, one of the smaller LC-130s already available on the ground at McMurdo on which we could catch a lift north.