new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Hilbre Island Lifeboat Station | by David Chennell - DavidC.Photography
Back to group

Hilbre Island Lifeboat Station

This was constructed in 1849 as a deep water alternative to Hoylake lifeboat station, where the sand flats act as a barrier at low tide. It appears to have been taken over by the RAF during World War II in order to distract German bombers from Liverpool/ Birkenhead and the docks.

310 views
0 faves
1 comment
Taken on May 2, 2011