Calvert Flats Mill, Walton-le-Dale, Preston c.1939
Former cotton mill of William Calvert & Sons Ltd located on Victoria Road in Walton-le-Dale. Developed and expanded from the early 1800's the mill, by the 1860's, employed over 800 people and by 1901 the company had over 3,000 looms and capital of £250,000. The company failed in 1931 and was later used by a paper manufacturer together with, wine shipper, Haworth & Airey. The older part of the mill, the spinning room, was destroyed by fire during the night of 20th-21st July 1938. The mill was demolished in the 1980's to make way for the Capitol Centre.
Image courtesy of Lancashire County Library - restored and enhanced by Alpro2010