new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Sculpture and The Yuccary Renishaw Hall Derbyshire | by woodytyke
Back to group

Sculpture and The Yuccary Renishaw Hall Derbyshire

Trevor Key began collecting Yuccas in 1979, his first plant purchased in rather humble surroundings from Tesco Supermarket. 33 years on this plant, now 12 feet tall, has to be regularly pruned to stop it creating strain on the glass roof of the Yuccary.

 

Throughout the 80’s and 90’s Trevor developed the collection by sourcing rare seeds from throughout the America’s and grew them with his original plant in the greenhouses at Renishaw.

In 1999 the derelict orangery at Renishaw was restored and has now become the permanent home to the National Collection of Yuccas, which now contains more than 40 species and cultivars.

  

Renishaw Hall is a Grade I listed building and has been the home of the Sitwell family for over 350 years.

 

The current owner of Renishaw is Alexandra Sitwell, daughter of the late Sir Reresby and Lady Sitwell.

 

The house was built in 1625 by George Sitwell (1601–67) who, in 1653, was High Sheriff of Derbyshire. The Sitwell fortune was made as colliery owners and ironmasters from the 17th to the 20th centuries. Substantial alterations and the addition of the west and east ranges were made to the building for Sir Sitwell Sitwell by Joseph Badger of Sheffield between 1793 and 1808 and further alterations were made in 1908 by Sir Edwin Lutyens.

 

The owner until 2009 was Sir Reresby Sitwell, 7th Baronet Sitwell of Renishaw the eldest son of Sir Sacheverell Sitwell brother of Edith and Osbert.

 

The gardens, including an Italianate garden laid out by Sir George Sitwell (1860–1943), are open to the public. The hall is open for groups by private arrangement. The park is listed in the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England as Grade II*.

 

The 1980 BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice used footage shot at Renishaw Hall. D. H. Lawrence is said to have used the local village of Eckington and Renishaw Hall as inspiration for his novel Lady Chatterley's Lover.

 

The Sitwells have always been avid collectors and patrons of the arts and the history of the family is filled with writers, innovators and eccentrics.

 

Dame Edith Sitwell (1887 - 1964) was a grandly eccentric poet and novelist, described by one observer as “an altar on the move.”

 

Sir Osbert Sitwell (1892-1969) wrote prose, poetry and also many short stories and novels, including Before the Bombardment (1926)

 

Sir Sacheverell Sitwell (1897-1988) His first volume of poetry, The People’s Palace, was published in 1918. He is also well known for his writing on art, architecture and ballet.

 

Information from Wikipedia and the Hall website.

1,875 views
0 faves
3 comments
Taken on June 24, 2012