Turnbridge ( Locomotive ) Bridge No.16 and Footbridge No.15 Quay Street Huddersfield Huddersfield Broad Canal Yorkshire
Perhaps the most interesting feature on the canal is the lift bridge at Quay Street, Huddersfield.
This unusual vertical lift bridge dates from 1865 when it replaced an earlier swing bridge. A combination of wheels, chains and counter-weights were used to lift the deck of the bridge out of the way of passing boats.
Until recently this was windlass-operated although it is now electric.Despite being a lift bridge, it is known as Turnbridge. It is also known as Locomotive Bridge, perhaps due to its a similarity to early steam locomotives.
The Huddersfield Broad Canal runs between the Huddersfield Narrow Canal in the centre of Huddersfield to the Calder and Hebble Navigation at Cooper Bridge.
The Huddersfield Broad Canal was originally known as the Cooper Canal, as it branched off the Calder and Hebble Navigation at Cooper Bridge. It was later known as Sir John Ramsden's Canal, after the Lord of the Manor and main land-owner. It later became known as the Broad Canal to distinguish it from the Narrow Canal.
It was opened in 1776 and proved to be a lifeline for the rapidly developing textile industry in Huddersfield, bringing in coal and shipping out finished textiles.
The canal is around 4 miles long with nine locks.