Hercules No. 50 Upper Peak Forest Canal
"Hercules" was originally built for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company by Harland & Wolff and is of the Small Woolwich type.
The Peak Forest Canal canal consists of two level pounds, separated by a flight of 16 locks at Marple, which raise the canal by 209 feet (64 m) over the course of 1 mile (1.6 km).
Whilst the rest of the canal was opened to navigation by 1796, insufficient money was available to complete the necessary flight of locks to connect the two halves, and a temporary tramway was installed until such time as the locks could be completed, which finally happened in 1804.