Fairyland Cannon Hall Cawthorne Barnsley
A part of the Cannon Hall Gardens were landscaped into a Fairytale folly for the children to play in. The Fairyland area was laid out in the late 19th Century by Sir Walter Spencer-Stanhope using stone arches form the Cawthorne and Silkstone churches.
Fairyland incorporates these stone arches with winding paths, fish ponds, stands of Yew trees and a stream with stone bridge to create a dream like garden that’s far removed from the usual formal gardens of stately homes in the UK.
Cannon Hall is a 17th century house set in 70 acres of parkland and gardens. The house contains furniture, paintings, glassware and pottery, in a series of period rooms and galleries.
For two hundred years Cannon Hall was home to the Spencer Stanhope family. From the 1760's the architect John Carr of York was commissioned to extend and alter the house while the designer Richard Woods was hired to landscape the parks and gardens.
Also in the house is the regimental museum of the 13th/18th Royal Hussars.