Crosthwaite Parish Church Keswick Cumbria
This Church is dedicated to St.Kentigern, known as St.Mungo in Scotland, where he is the patron saint of St.Mungo's Cathedral in Glasgow.
St.Kentigern came to our area having been driven out of Glasgow by a pagan prince, and set up his cross in a clearing or ‘Thwaite’, in 553AD. Hence the name “Crosthwaite”. Nothing remains of the earliest church buildings, but small portions of the stone church of 1180 survive.
In all likelihood a church has stood on this site since the sixth century A.D. The existing church is probably the fifth or sixth building since then and we learn of a new one in 1180.
In 1198, Richard Coeur-de-Lion gave the church to Fountains Abbey and for three hundred years the parish was run by the monks.
In the time of Edward III (1327-1377) the church appears to have been rebuilt. The present building is dated 1523 and was extensively restored in 1844, by the architect Gilbert Scott, who designed the roof timbers, pews and some of the screen work now existing.
Robert Southey was Poet Laureate and worshipped at Crosthwaite for forty years until his death in 1842. His tomb is in the churchyard. A memorial to Southey is inside the church.