The Parish Church of St James with Christ Church Thornes Wakefield Yorkshire
The church dates from 1830 and is a good example of simple late-Georgian architecture.
Thornes Parish Church was built in 1831 to provide for the spiritual needs of the growing population. The Industrial Revolution was just beginning to gain its full momentum in the West Riding and in the next 40 years the population was seen to double. St. James was one of the many Churches built in the area between 1830 and 1880.
Mr. Benjamin Gaskill applied for a grant from the Million Fund, a fund established after the battle of Waterloo as a thank-offering, and used to assist in the provision of places of worship where the need arose. A grant of £1000 was made towards the building of a Church at Thornes and apart from a few donations the remainder of the expense was covered by the Gaskill family.
On Sunday 17th October 1830 the newly completed Church was opened for divine service under the licence of Vernon Harcourt, Archbishop of York. The morning service was conducted by Reverend S Sharp, Vicar of Wakefield, and the afternoon service by Reverend Joseph Twentyman who became the first Vicar of Thornes. The consecration of the Church took place on October 12th in the following year.
Information from A Church Near You website.