St. John the Evangelist Parish Church Lepton Yorkshire
In medieval times the population in this area was sparse and money to build churches was in short supply. Monks from Dewsbury Minister would walk by way of Kirkheaton through Little Lepton to Kirkburton and beyond to take the sacraments to the faithful.
It was 1868 before the parish church, which is dedicated to St John the Evangelist, was built for Church of England people who were not chapel goers. Previous to that time the residents of the little hamlets scattered around Lepton had to make the long trip, on foot or horseback, over to Kirkheaton church.
In 1992 an extension was built onto the church following the sale of the old parish hall . The modern extension is used for many church activities and also by other organisations.
This information from the village website.