Oaks Colliery Disaster Rescuers' Memorial Barnsley Yorkshire 2
This memorial to the rescuers was erected in 1913.
The Oaks explosion was one of the very worst colliery disasters in the United Kingdom.
The pit exploded on 12 December 1866, ultimately killing 361 miners and their would-be rescuers.
The first explosion killed 334 miners working in the pit that day, and the following morning another explosion killed a further 27 miners in a rescue party which included the mining engineer, Parkin Jeffcock.
The accident was the worst in British mining history until the Senghenydd Colliery Disaster, in the South Wales coalfield in 1913, which claimed over 400 lives. The Oaks disaster remains the worst in England.
The inscription reads;
"OAKS EXPLOSION / 1866 / THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED / ANNO DOMINI 1913 / BY SAMUEL JOSHUA COOPER / AS A TRIBUTE TO THE MEMORY OF / PARKIN JEFFCOCK AND / OTHER HEROES OF THE RESCUE / PARTIES WHO LOST THEIR LIVES / OWING TO FURTHER EXPLOSIONS / ON DECEMBER 13TH 1866 / ALSO TO COMMEMORATE / THE SIGNAL BRAVERY OF / JOHN EDWARD MAMMATT AND / THOMAS WILLIAM EMBLETON / IN DESCENDING THE PIT AND / RESCUING THE SOLE SURVIVOR / ON DECEMBER 14TH 1866"
Another monument to commemorate the disaster was erected in the churchyard of Christ Church Ardsley.