St John the Baptist Church Royston Barnsley Yorkshire
Built by the monks of the nearby Priory of St. Mary Magdalen at Lund (Monk Bretton Priory), the present building can be dated back to before 1234.
There was possibly an Anglo Saxon Church here, evidenced by some early foundation work, and the discovery of a fragment of an Anglo- Saxon cross.
The Eastern part of the Chancel is probably the earliest part of the present building, the masonry of the North and South walls being part of the Church described in 1240 as “newly built”.
The Church was extensively restored in 1867-69 by J. L. Pearson.
The Tower contains a full peal of eight bells, six re-cast after the Second World War (1946) and two added in 1979 by Taylor of Loughborough. The Sanctus Bell is the original number five bell from circa 1530.
The Font which is probably late 15th century with an early 20th century cover.
All the Roofs are medieval; those in the Nave and Aisles have finely carved bosses depicting the Head of St. John the Baptist, the Agnus Dei, the Pelican in her piety, Sacred Monograms, The Green Man, some grotesque heads and interesting heraldry.
Originally the whole interior was plastered and painted; the plaster was stripped from the walls in the 19th century restoration. In the Nave there are fragments of late 16th century and 17th century painted texts.
The Stained Glass windows are mainly Victorian, but there are various fragments of medieval glass in the top lights of the Lady Chapel and Sacristy windows, some of which date from the 14th and 15th centuries.
Thanks to www.achurchnearyou.com/royston-barnsley/page/9674/ for the information.